The Sea Kayak Club puts a high priority of Safety. The club’s Safety Guidelines and Operating Procedures can be found here. This is a comprehensive document that new and current members should familiarise themselves with.
Safety documents for downloading (PDFs)
- Risk management exemplar and template (MS Word, 38kb)
- Entire Safety Guidelines Feb 2019 (PDF, 8.5Mb)
- Personal Risk Assessment (PDF, 50kb)
- Trip Grading Guidelines (PDF, 144kb)
- Launching and landing guidelines (PDF, 48kb)
- Towing Procedure (PDF, 112kb)
- Perth area Volunteer Marine Rescue details map (PDF, 247kb)
- Non-metropolitan WA Volunteer Marine Rescue details map (PDF, 152kb)
- Comprehensive Radio Communications Guide, produced by the Volunteer Marine Rescue Service (PDF, 4.7Mb)
Department of Transport Required Safety Equipment
Click here to go to the WA Department of Transport Marine PaddleSafe information
Marine Radio and VMR Contacts
The club recommends that all club members have a VHF handheld marine radio. This makes group communication much easier on the water and should a paddler need assistance from a capsize etc, they can call for assistance or if alone, can call for assistance from VMR or a nearby boat.
A guide on the use of VHF radio can be downloaded here: VMRSradioComGuide (4.7MB PDF file).
A similar chart has been produced by the WA Volunteer Marine Rescue Service, which also includes a comprehensive radio communications guide for the state. It can be downloaded here: VMRSradioComGuide (4.7MB PDF file).
Towing training at Rockingham Photo: Roger Lloyd